Thursday, January 23, 2014

Indoor Snow Painting

So as always my best intentions get overrun with the craziness of the holidays. My craziness started with thanksgiving, followed by 2 birthdays and then Christmas and now I finally have time to repost some of the fun projects we have been up to.

The first is snow painting



When its been as cold as it has here in the North East of the United States its nice to be able to play with snow without bundling all the kids up and this project couldnt be easier.

For this you will need:

Droppers - I used pipets left over from Loobys science party but you could use medicine droppers.
Food coloring
Cups/beakers
Large tray/plate or roasting pan
Snow

We first mixed up a number of 'paints' by combining a few drops of food coloring with water in cups.

Then I was sent out to dig a large amount of snow into the containers, while I did this the kids stirred and fought over who liked which color best - you got to love snow days!

Then they were left to create, here is EB ready to go.


I had them share plates, mainly because I didn't have enough large plates, in hindsight it proved to be a really good lesson for them all in how to collaborate on a project and discuss what ideas they had. 





Then they got really stuck in, the pipets added to the fun but I'm sure it would work equally well with paint brushes, will have to try that next time. 

Pictures morphed in the process as the kids got carried away and were determined to empty each cup of color.




Either way I think they turned out really nicely and best of all we all stayed warm in the process.









No comments:

Post a Comment