Thursday, February 6, 2014

Fuzzy Felt Board

Ever heard of fuzzy felt? I think it must have been a British thing or maybe it was named something totally different over this side of the Atlantic. Fuzzy felt was a board that you placed felt pieces on to create pictures. It was such a great quiet activity but I can't seem to find any in the shops here so I decided to try and make one.



You will need:

Picture Frame Or heavy card board (I found a cheap picture frame IKEA)
Felt
Scissors
Glue


Step 1

To begin remove the glass and glue 1 piece of felt to the picture backing. Or if using a piece of card just glue to card. If using the frame as I did put it back inside the frame without the glass.




Step 2

Using a variety of colors cut out various shapes, these will be used in the picture. I cut basic shapes such as squares, circles, triangles, rectangle strips and hearts in various sizes and colors. I also started to cut other shapes out that could be used to create a picture, for example, a tree shape, lightening, clouds and a bus.


Step 3

Playtime, I gave the boys each a board and let them create. It was fun to watch, I helped them create some things out of the basic shapes, showed them how to layer the pieces but I also ended up cutting a few more shapes as they began to have more ideas of things they wanted in their pictures.








Funny Buba did one picture and then didn't want to change it at all but D loves this type of play and came back a few times that afternoon to make new pictures. He was so happy with every creation and I had to photograph each so he would 'remember it for Daddy'. I think I'd like to make some animals and people for them next.





If I packaged this up nicely I think this could easily make a lovely gift for someone too.


















No comments:

Post a Comment